Low Fat Apple Cake
Serves 8 / Prep time 20mins / Oven time 35mins
550 g apples (approx. 3 apples), thinly sliced
juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon (optional – can use ½ of zest of a whole lemon for discreet lemon taste)
90 g granulated sugar
a pinch of salt
110g plain four
2 t baking powder
75ml low fat milk (2%)
• 1 tablespoon granulated sugar to sprinkle on top (pre-oven)
• powdered sugar (only once cake has cooled down)
• cinnamon powder (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Grease and flour a 26 cm (9 ½ inches) pan and set aside.
3. Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples. Place the slices in a bowl with the lemon juice, toss to coat, and set aside. [note: keep one apple from the others – to be used for topping]
4. Put the eggs, sugar, grated lemon zest, and salt in a bowl, and beat until thick and creamy.
5. Add the flour, baking powder, milk, and mix on low speed until combined.
6. Using a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon, fold in 2/3rds of the apples into the batter.
7. Pour the batter in the prepared pan.
8. Arrange the remaining apple slices, flat-side down, over the top. Optional: Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
9. Bake the apple cake for approximately 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, and the top is golden brown.
10. Cool completely, then dust the cake with powdered sugar just before serving.
Store it in an airtight container in a cool place for 2 to 3 days, or in the fridge for up to 5 days. In warm climates, it is better to store it in the fridge.
Nutrition Information > Amount per 90g serving (1 slice) — Calories: 133, Fat: 1.2g, Cholesterol: 40mg, Sodium: 18mg, Carbohydrates: 28.6g, Fibre: 2g, Sugar: 17g, Protein: 3g