150g chuck steak or shin of beef, cut into chunks
150g new baby potatoes, quartered
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
300ml beef stock
2 tsp tomato puree
1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp plain flour
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1. Preheat the oven to 165C , 325F or Gas mark 3.
2. Heat a heavy based pan suitable for the oven (if you don't have one, you can transfer the ingredients to a casserole dish just before going into the oven), add the olive oil , chopped onion, carrot and potatoes.
3. Add the plain flour and stir until everything is evenly coated. Add the beef stock, tomato puree, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaf. Stir to combine then add the beef chunks. Bring to a simmer and then cover and put in the oven. (At this point you could transfer to a casserole dish with a lid or a slow cooker.)
4. Cook for 2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
5. Remove bay leaf and season with a little black pepper. Serve hot.
497 calories 24g fat 34.9g protein 45.9g carbs 12.7 g sugars serves 1
120 minutes cooking time 10 minutes prep
1 x 210g can chickpeas
1 x 210g can chopped tomatoes
60g swede, peeled and diced
1 small red onion, peeled and diced
1 garlic, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and diced
110ml vegetable stock
1 small red chilli, finely sliced
1 tsp freshly chopped basil
1 piece orange peel
fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp ground cumin
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 Tbsp olive oil
1. Heat a non-stick pan and add the olive oil and the chopped onion and garlic, then gently sauté until soft over medium heat.
2. Add the diced carrot, swede and the drained chickpeas, then gradually pour in the vegetable stock.
3. Stir in the chilli, basil, cumin, followed by the tomatoes and the orange peel.
4. Simmer gently for 25 minutes, topping up with more water if required, until the vegetables are cooked and the sauce has thickened.
5. Just before serving, remove the orange peel and sprinkle with parsley.
Perfect served hot with boiled rice or steamed couscous.
Note: The nutritional information does not include the accompaniments.
Serves: 1 Cooking time 25 minutes Prep time 10 minutes
Calories 277 Fat 5g Protein 13.9g Carbs 43g Sugars 43g