16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
⅓ cup cassava flour
½ tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 large pasture-raised egg, beaten
⅓ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
1 tablespoon avocado oil
“Crema” ½ cup coconut yogurt,
unsweetened ½ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, including stems
1 lime, juiced
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large avocado,
diced ¼ cup red onion,
finely diced 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves,
chopped 1 lime, juiced
½ teaspoon sea salt
Serving Suggestions: red cabbage, thinly sliced grain-free tortillas or lettuce leaves pico de gallo
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Combine cassava flour, salt, paprika, and garlic powder in a bowl, stir to combine, and set aside.
3. Roll each shrimp in the flour mixture, tap off any excess flour, then dip each floured shrimp in the beaten egg, followed by tossing them in the shredded coconut until coated. Lay the coated shrimp on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
4. Drizzle the coated shrimp with the avocado oil and place in the preheated oven to bake for 7 minutes until golden. Flip halfway through.
5. For the lime crema, use a mortar and pestle to mash the cilantro until it is a paste. Add the lime juice and coconut yogurt, stir to combine. Season with black pepper and set aside in a small bowl.
6. For the guacamole, add all of the guacamole ingredients to a bowl and stir while lightly mashing with a fork until combined.
7. To assemble the tacos, add a couple of shrimp to a grain-free tortilla (or lettuce leaf if you prefer that), along with sliced red cabbage, a drizzle of crema, a spoonful of guacamole, and some pico de gallo if desired.
Nutritional analysis per serving (based on 8 servings)
Calories: 143, Total Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 48mg, Fiber: 4g, Protein: 5g, Carbohydrates: 13g, Net Carbs: 9g, Sodium: 714mg, Sugars: 3g
Recipe Compliments Dr. Mark Hyman:
The shrimp are tossed in shredded coconut and baked to crispy perfection, then layered with a tangy Cilantro Lime “Crema” along with fresh cabbage and a dollop of creamy guac.
Each one of the tacos packs in some essential protein from the shrimp, healthy fats from coconut and avocado, and fiber and folate from the cabbage.
Cilantro is an amazing herb for detoxification, which is especially helpful paired with digestion-stimulating lime juice. Herbs and spices added into a meal to receive multiple health and longevity boosts.