Makes: 6 servings Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Lay the whole eggplants in a parchment paper lined baking dish, roast for 50 minutes, until the outer skin is charred.
3. Remove from the oven and peel the eggplants, discard skin. Place the eggplant in a colander to allow excess liquids to drain.
4. While the eggplants are draining, add the avocado oil and leeks to a large pot over medium heat, sauté for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for 1 more minute.
5. Destem the thyme and add to the pot along with the eggplant, water, coconut milk, and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
6. After 30 minutes, add the miso and blend the soup until smooth. You can use an immersion blender or a regular blender that has steam vents for blending hot foods.
7. Serve the soup with pine nuts, chives, and freshly ground black pepper to garnish each bowl.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories: 198, Total Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 591mg, Carbohydrates: 34g, Fiber: 10g, Sugars: 12g, Protein: 4g, Net Carbs: 24g
Recipe Compliments: Dr. Mark Hyman